Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: This is so difficult  (Read 8295 times)
Matt
Outnumbered
Lounge Lizard

~ ENFJ ~

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2012, 07:24:27 PM »

Hey Ladies,
Long time, no post.

It's with heavy heart that I'm starting this thread.

Willow has entered the end stages of her kidney failure.  It's been almost 2 years since her diagnosis, and the vet gave her a prognosis of around 2 years, so I guess she's on schedule.... tears

Chris and I are having a really hard time deciding if we should wait a bit more before we make "the decision", but she seems to be worsening with each day.  There's a list of 12 -13 signs and symptoms that we found online for dogs at the end stages of renal failure, and aside from seizures and incontinence, Willow has checked off all of them.  We've decided that we absolutely do NOT want seizures to be the sign we wait for to "know", and if she were ever incontinent in the house, we think the guilt alone would kill her (she hides whenever she vomits - which, because of the renal failure, is nearly every day).

We went to the dog park today, and I think it'll be the last time she goes there. In the same amount of time that we usually circle the park 3 times, we walked around once.  She's so lethargic.  She's been curled up on her dog bed since we've been home. Chris has covered her with an afghan as she's soooo skinny now and shakes like crazy.

I think out biggest dilemma is that we're moving at the end of the month. We're moving into a townhouse that has A LOT of stairs, and at this point, Willow finds it difficult to get up on the couch. We're worried she won't cope well with the move.

She still wiggles her stump when we talk to her, and still slowly makes her way over for cuddles, but I just don't think she's as happy as she was, even last week.

I guess we all know where this is headed, and I guess I just needed to get this little bit of worry off my chest. I'd also appreciate any thoughts/prayers/best-wishes you can offer!

Hope you're all well,

~M

lil_miss_mafia
Agility Spaniels
Lounge Lizard

Performance Spaniels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 08:00:10 PM »

Awwww.  I am so so sorry.  No matter how long we have them with us, it is never long enough.  Don't feel guilt that you think it's time, she won't blame you.  I think that a lot of stairs sounds like a terrible amount of effort, and the stress of the move might not be good either.  Deep down you'll know, and I think you are there.. just need to share the sorrow.  *hugs*  I am so sorry.

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT~
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 35 Q's
Stanton Acres Out of the Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-FHS
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12
pearl
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 08:24:02 AM »

matt i'm so sorry. i went through this with pearlie girlie. i doubted myself and when to make the decision each day, but when i did i knew it was right to end her suffering. pearl would go outside to throw up and she got to where she could hardly move. like maf said, you and chris will know when it's time. many many hugs.
Baxtersmomma
To Be Determined
Lounge Lizard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 08:21:30 PM »

Many prayers and hugs coming your way.

I'm sorry that your baby is going through this.  I agree with Pearl and Mafia.  You know when the time is right for you and her.  Find comfort in knowing that you loved her dearly and gave her the best life ever. 

Prayers, my friend.  I'll be thinking about you, Chris and Willow girl. 

The boundaries which divide life from death are, at best, shadowy and vague.  Who shall say where one ends, and the other begins?? - Edgar Alan Poe
Rhondakbt
Lounge Lizard

Casey By Cecile 08 23 2008

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 10:57:30 AM »

I am so very sorry to hear you all are going through this.  hug hug It makes it even harder because she is still so young.  I believe you and Chris know deep in your hearts that the time to let Willow go with the dignity she so deserves is drawing near.  It truly sucks!  tears
Her shakes may be from pain or she might just be cold. My Casey towards the end would chatter his teeth.  That apparently can be a sign of pain.  Bless her heart as she has been such a great girl and you two have been the best parents.  Sending lots of prayers ya'lls way.

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would have it no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan...." I Townsend
Kim
Lounge Lizard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 02:07:24 PM »

I'm so sorry Matt.  I know you made the right decision in letting her go.  I hope you find comfort in knowing you were a great dog parent.   hug hug
Norma
Lounge Lizard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 06:48:39 PM »

Matt,
My heart aches for you and Chris.  We have all had to make the same hard decision, and it is never easy.  I know she is much happier and at peace and pain free.  You and Chris will be pain free some day, but right now, we all know how hard it is for you. 

Be at peace, Willow had  a wonderful life with you, and made everyone who met her, (and those of us who only know her vicariously through you), very happy with her wiggling stump and gorgeous face. 

Tons of hugs for you both  hug hug hug hug  Much much love hug hug

Chris
Lounge Lizard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 08:46:20 PM »

So sorry to hear about Willow.  I'm sure you and Chris did everything possible for her and she knew it.   hug
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0.5 beta 1© Bloc