Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PediPaws  (Read 9785 times)
shinyblackpit
Queen Hollypocket
Lounge Lizard

View Profile WWW
« on: November 04, 2012, 08:25:50 PM »

My friend had one and she doesn't use it, so she gave it to me. I looked around online first, watched the official instructional video, and read reviews on a yorkie forum. (That is just what happened to come up first in the google search.) The Yorkie people didn't seem to like it much. But I tried it on Norm anyway, and it actually worked quite well.

When he had his nails ground (grinded?) by a groomer, he yelped quite a bit.. Which sucks because the whole reason we took him there was that we went to clip his nails, and our cheapo clippers were dull (worked fine the first time) and he yelped when we attempted the first nail. So we took him to professionals rather than hurt him.

Pedi-paws was simple to use, got visible results, and zero yelping. He was fine. A couple of people on the yorkie forum said they take off the orange protective thing, that it just got in the way, but I actually found it very helpful because it has a groove that the nail sits in to keep it kind of steady in one spot. Works for me. This will be simple to use once a week or so.

Rhondakbt
Lounge Lizard

Casey By Cecile 08 23 2008

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 10:38:38 AM »

I hate cutting dark nails with a passion.  Glad to hear Norm was good for you when you did it.  I actually need to attend the Chi's long nails/ talons too.  I might try the Pedipaws being I have one, just never used it.  LOL! 

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would have it no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan...." I Townsend
shinyblackpit
Queen Hollypocket
Lounge Lizard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:55:17 PM »

It really works well for us. He doesn't enjoy it, but he sits there, and it doesn't take long, and doesn't appear to hurt him at all. I've done it 2 more times since I posted. There were a lot of bad reviews for it. I guess it all depends on how your own dog reacts to it? Because I don't get why it would grind Norm's nails right down and not work on another dog's nails.

Norma
Lounge Lizard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 08:24:28 PM »

Tired more than once to use a pediclipper on Rocky drew blood, that was enough,  now pay $2.  whenever he needs it. We feel better hug hug

shinyblackpit
Queen Hollypocket
Lounge Lizard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 08:31:07 PM »

Now, this thing isn't a clipper-- it is like a dremel. Sands them down. But $2, wow! If someone will do it for $2 and it doesn't  hurt him, you've hit the jackpot! When we went to petsmart they suggested that they grind them instead of clip them because they were pretty long, and I think it was $11. Seems like clipping with clippers there was maybe $9.

Wolf
Dragon Master
Lounge Lizard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 06:09:59 PM »

I bought one of those pet toe nail grinders.  I can't get anyone to stay still once I turn it on.  And the battery doesn't hold a charge for very long.  Not even sure where it is now.  A Dremel would probably be a better investment and you can get the plug in type or rechargeable. 

shinyblackpit
Queen Hollypocket
Lounge Lizard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 10:36:38 PM »

I did Norm's on New Year's Eve at my friend's house, and he actually fell asleep while I was doing his back ones. Haven't had battery trouble here, but I can agree that if you need a dremel for other stuff, a dremel would be a better deal as you could use it for more than dog nails. Ours was free, so no harm no foul.

shinyblackpit
Queen Hollypocket
Lounge Lizard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »

We're dog sitting for Norman's friend Riley, who is a chihuahua/terrier mix and looks a lot like Norm-- same basic style of dog. They weigh exactly the same! 10.6 pounds.

Anyhow, Riley had the longest dog nails I have ever seen. They laid sideways on the floor when he stood! It was also time for Norm's weekly mani/pedi, so I did both of them. Riley behaved just like Norm... tolerated it, sitting nice and still until about the last 2 toes, when they have just had enough of all this nail stuff. I do the front paws, then do the back paws a few hours later. Just like Norm, Riley never cried out or jerked or showed any sign of anything painful going on. It really makes me wonder why Norm screamed when they ground his nails at Petsmart. Do they deliberately do it until they scream to get them as short as possible?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0.5 beta 1© Bloc

Login with username, password and session length